Saturday, July 11, 2009

Return to Racing

I had my first bike race yesterday in about 9 months. I had finally run out of excuses of why I couldn't go- no painters, no tradesman, no netball etc. It wasn't that I didn't really not want to go, I was just putting off the pain. Returning to racing after a break is always hard, even though you train, nothing gets you race fit apart from racing, and often the first few races back are very difficult, often you get dropped within the first few minutes, you know you are going to suffer, so you put it off.

My excuses ran out this week, I had one last home that the landscaper would ring and say he would be coming around to finish of the edging and of course I would need to be there to give directions. By early Saturday morning he had not called, so that excuse had gone, then it did look like it might rain, but that cleared up, and Bill had loaded the bikes into the hi lux so I knew he was keen for me to come, so off I went.

I got a good warm up and made my way to the start line and before I knew it F Grade was away. My first goal was to stay with them up to the first turn about 4km away. If I made that I knew I could stay with them at least some of the way - a few dropped off but I was still there, making sure I didn't get stuck in any gaps. The next bit was down hill, so I knew I would be okay. I made the next turn and the next - that was one lap down and one to go. If I made it back up to the next turn I knew I had a good chance of staying with them the whole way - I did, so I was happy. There were now 5 of us in the front bunch after starting with about 12, so I was happy. The last leg back was where I should have tried to have a go off the front as I was riding with big guys who would easily outsprint me, someone else was thinking the same thing, they went, the others followed and so did I but it made me realise that just to finish with them was all I was capable of- I did and finished 4th! Tired and weary but pleased.

When I got home the landscaper was there, he managed to work out what he needed to finish off with out my help - maybe he did call during the week and Bill just conveniently forgot to tell me! Now I better start thinking of my excuses for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment