Monday, May 23, 2011

First Time in 8 Years!







I had to do something I had not done in about 8 years- buy eggs from the shops! It has been a very cold May, with a number of minus overnight temperatures and the chooks have stopped laying eggs probably because they are moulting. In previous years I have brought a new lot of chooks around spring and when they are young they tend to lay through the winter months, but these chooks are older and have stopped laying. I brought some free range eggs from Woolworths and took them out to the chooks to explain to them what I had needed to do and that I was not impressed! In the process of doing so I did find the spot they had decided to lay their eggs and found one dozen stashed away! I am probably only getting one egg a day from 6 chooks but I have ordered some new ones so maybe I may not have to buy any more eggs just yet! One of the chooks is looking very weird, it lost a lot of feathers, it did this last year and we thought it was being picked on, but we never saw any evidence and it did grow its feathers back eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment