Sunday, May 11, 2014

Canberra to Jervis Bay in a Day- on a Push Bike

Last Saturday was cold- 3 degrees when we started and wet- light rain, rather than stay inside and keep warm I rode from Parliament House to Jervis Bay with my fellow Team R riders and part of our Denmark to Paris training. I was very anxious about it all week due to the weather forecast but there was nothing I could do but get on my bike and ride and try and keep warm. The worst part was the first 66 km to Tarago where we did have light rain most of the way and the water from the road would spray up, but I did arrive reasonably warm but a little soggy!
Bill came along as a support car and was the lead vehicle, it meant I had a place to keep some extra clothes which came in handy.




 Here was are leaving Tarago after morning tea, at least after this the rain did stop, with only the occasional short light shower and the roads were not as wet. After stopping I was cold when I got going, was shivering but had dry gloves on and a warmer jacket, after about 30 minutes I finally warmed up and actually was looking forward to a hill to ride up to warm up. From then on I was reasonably warm and dry.


 We rode through some lovely scenery and the roads were pretty quiet. Cars that did pass us were very good. On a nice day it would be a lovely ride. It was about 7 degrees for most of the morning.
 We stopped for lunch at Nerriga Pub and enjoyed sandwiches and wedges by the open fire and a chance to change out of our wet nicks and put on some dry clothes. I think I had too many wedges then had to ride up a big hill out of Nerriga. After that it was good riding, a few up and down river valleys and then a nice downhill run to some falls were we took the group photo below.

 It was great to finally arrive and have a hot shower, have another group photo and head out for dinner. 
 Bill, me and Damon Oliver at the pub Saturday night for dinner. 

  Next morning we went down to Hymans Beach- pity it wasn't sunny like this the day before. We had a paddle and water was surprisingly warm! It was a great weekend- great group of people to ride with, I only managed 175km out of the 200km as I got two punctures along the way- Amy called me a slacker!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you are a slacker but I don't think you are entirely sane either ;)

    ReplyDelete