Saturday, May 4, 2013

Danger in the Chook Yard



I went outside on Saturday morning to  let the chooks out, while I was out there decided to collect the eggs. The cold weather has struck, so the chooks are not laying as much so only found one egg, thought I better check out some of the usual haunts as everynow and then they decided to find a new laying spot. Found some in one spot, and then I stepped off the path and ventured into the dirt area- however I was only in my pink plastic crocks- very stylish I know, but also very stupid as I then stepped on a piece of wood with a rusty nail in it! It probably pierced my foot about 1cm and there was a small puncture wound there and a bit of blood. I decided I needed to be brave, as probably the last tetanus shot I had was before Lachlan was born-so just slightly over due for a tetanus shot! So I took myself off the Walk In Clinic at Canberra Hospital and had a tetanus shot and my wound cleaned. It was all a bit weird as the nurse pulled out of the wound this little round piece of something that looked a bit like a fish scale which made her think there was a foriegn body in there, so that required a blunt needle full of water in the wound to wash it out- just typing this makes me go all light headed again-but I was very brave. It turned out to be a top layer of skin that got punched in, just like with a hole punch- as the nail it turned out when I examined it at home, was rusty and blunt and the top point had worn off! So quite a start to Saturday morning. Despite the chooks causing me so much trauma, I got them some chook mash on the way home to boost their protein and hopefully their egg laying over the cold months.

I also decided that after such a traumatic start to the day I better not go bike racing- I was just waiting for an excuse to get out of the race today it was a race up the hill to Honeysuckle Creek which is one very steep hill- I needed to stay home and recover. Mind you my arm and foot are a bit sore today!

No comments:

Post a Comment