Saturday, April 27, 2013

My Special Mirror

 
Lachlan put up this mirror for me yesterday.It was quite a job as it is a very heavy and a  very special mirror, so very. I told Lachlan I have raised his status from useful to very useful!
 
The mirror was from my mum’s house and is really the main thing I have from her place. I did not know the story behind the mirror till recently- it is as old as me. When my older brother Michael was born, in Pingely a very small town in WA, my dad was managing a farm and mum went off to hospital and  came home to a very messy house. On seeing the mess she burst into tears, so when I was born a year later in Adelaide my dad made up for her last home coming by having the mirror especially made and it was hanging on the wall in a perfectly clean house with a bunch of flowers! So it is very sentimental and is now hanging on my wall thanks to Lachlan!

. Turns out I got some of the details wrong so here is the updated version from mum who finally wrote it down!

 “We went to WA for you dad to manage a property up north for a bookmaker, who lived next to his uncle in Perth, but he collapsed in the heat He had to sleep in a Nissan hut as the promised new house was not built and I stayed with relatives in Perth getting morning sick every day. We moved south to Pingelly, a lovely place but your Dad was a farm labourer and worked from dawn to dusk.

The farm was 15 miles out of the town so he really could not help the mess, as we only had a wood stove to cook on too and to heat the water. I chopped the wood as he was too busy. Such a contrast when I came home to our own house in Adelaide.

No comments:

Post a Comment