Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fall from Grace- or Bike!



Thank goodness I wear a helmet- I really appreciate my helmet- I think it saved me a lot of pain and suffering this week! I was going for my normal Monday ride with a group of friends, we had gone up to Woods Reserve on the Corin Forest Road. As we were descending, I thought I had a flat back tyre. As I slowed down, I looked back to see if I could see anything wrong and in looking down I veered off to the left. Unfortunately I was near the side of the road so as I veered I went off the edge of the road and onto the uneven and gullied shoulder of the road. Fortunately I missed the rocks and the white post but could not get out of the little gullies and ended up going over the handlebars hitting my head, shoulder, back and knee. I lay their stunned for a bit and realised that I didn't have any broken bones and could move my arms and toes so knew I was okay. My next thought was my bike, but decided I needed to not verbalise that question just yet and to cooperate with my fellow cyclists who had stopped to assist this silly woman who in a momentary lapse of concentration had ruined her days riding! I managed to sit up and then discovered my bike was okay. I needed to check that my bike was really okay so I then got back on and rolled down the remaining 4kms to the bottom of the hill. Yes I am crazy!

By the time I got to the bottom of the hill I had worked out while my bike was capable of riding home my body was not, so I wimped out and got a lift home- one of my fellow bike riders called her husband and he came to the rescue!

Fortunatley I work for a physiotherapist so I went in to see him to see what the damage was. It looks as though I have not done anything major- apart from a major blow to my pride. I narrowly missed breaking my collar bone, I have a lump on my head, a sore shoulder, a bruised knee, relatively few scratches, and a sore upper back. 3 physio visits later and a week of doing nothing much, I am still a bit sore, but the upper back is the only thing really giving me some grief. After standing or walking for 10 minutes I am sore, I can sit at the computer for a bit longer but then have to get up and move and curl up. My biggest concern is because I am not exercising I cannot eat as much - so I have to get better so I can start eating more yummy things again! In the meantime I am reading lots, getting the kids to help out and am sick of being injured!

No comments:

Post a Comment