Sunday, April 25, 2010

Darwin - A History Lesson






As we travelled around Darwin and saw the different War War Two Monuments and information about Darwin and the war I felt a bit ashamed that I was so ignorant about my own knowledge of Australian History and World War Two. I learnt that on the 19th Feb 1942 at the bombing of Darwin 242 people were killed and 400 injured. It was the same force that attacked Pearl Harbour attacked Darwin and more bombs were dropped on Darwin than Pearl Harbour. The Air Raids went on for 21 months with 64 air raids. I must admit I had no idea about the extent of the attack on Darwin. 6 months ago, Amy and I had been in Europe and had seen various World War Two monuments and damaged and rebuilt buildings, and here we were in Darwin seeing similar things!

We visited the World War Two Oil storage tunnels which were built to store oil, 2 million dollars were spent but they were never used! We also visited Adelaide River and saw the war cemetery there, after the bombing of Darwin, a military base and head quarters was set up at there. I thought the Adelaide River Cemetery was a beautiful memorial and a significant site to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment