Saturday, June 19, 2010

New Bike Finally Gets to Race!



I have had my new bike since the beginning of the year and apart from one or two criteriums in March it hasn't really had the chance to get out and do a road race. Yesterday I finally ran out of excuses and had to take it out for a race! The Vet's cycling winter season which is on Saturday afternoons starts in April - it is now June and I have only just managed to get out there. When you have had a break from racing the first few races you usually suffer as the only way to get your race fitness is race - so I have been putting of that 'getting back into it'. I have had some genuine excuses - like Amy has netball and netball umpiring on Saturday afternoons and now that Lachlan is working on Saturdays I have had to do the taxi run, but yesterday Bill was able to do that, the race was close to home so I had to try and come up with a few other excuses - like the weather was looking too windy, too cold. It seems on Saturdays I have multipile voices going on in my head! I even went out to check my bike at 11:30am and discovered I had a puncture - I started to walk back into the house and was going to pretend I hadn't seen it and then go out at 12:30pm when it would be too late to fix it and go "oh dear - I have a puncture - drats I cannot race!" However I talked myself out of that excuse, fixed the puncture and rode out to the race, hoping it would go flat and then I wouldn't have to race- it stayed up. Well I did race, I survived, I managed to stay with the main bunch up all the hills and was still there at the finish! Only problem was I had no legs to sprint at the end, but I was happy I had more that fulfilled my expectactions, so it shouldn't be as hard to race next time. Mm - better start thinking of my excuses for next week- ah yes - I have one- have to go to Sydney next weekend! But I actually did enjoy my day of racing believe it or not- I think the mind games are as exhausting as the racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment